Friday, January 29, 2010

Books on the Brain


y quest for employment centers largely on books for two reasons: 1) I adore them so, and 2) I'm an editor by trade. It's a perfect match and I just have to convince hiring managers/HR professionals that I can add value to their organizations. Which is what I'll be doing today. And probably tomorrow and the day after.

Which is to say, dear readers, I haven't much time to spend with you.

However, in a bit of television I saw last night, I was reminded of a term that ties in nicely with an earlier post about Brian Dettmer and a post I've been meaning to write about Victorian networking. In the program, an artist had purchased a number of science books and grangerized them to become graphic elements in his controversial artwork.

Grangerize has two meanings:
1. To mutilate a book by clipping illustrations, photographs, text, etc., out of it.
2. To illustrate a book by adding elements cut from other books.

According to Wordsmith.org, the word's coinage is linked to James Granger (1723–1776), an English clergyman whose Biographical History of England had blank leaves for illustrations that were to be filled in by readers with their own selection of pictures, clippings, etc. A kind of robbing-Peter-to-pay-Paul scheme. [Hmmm. That's a cost-saving measure for current publishers to consider.]

Do you see? Even while watching television my mind boomerangs back to books—their production and preservation. Now if I can just get across my passion in a cover letter without sounding sappy…

[Artful drop cap designed by Jessica Hische.]

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...