Thursday, July 9, 2009

Old Frock, New Body Woes

This morning I put on a hand-me-down dress my sister sent me years ago. Most of my favorite clothes have been inherited from my older sister and her friend—two tall, svelte women with impeccable taste.

For the record, I share their taste but not their build. Yet I've usually been able to make their clothes work for me.

Today this particular dress feels a bit snug across the back. It doesn't look bad, but last Spring I was so thin I had to cinch it with a belt to keep it from dragging the ground.

I blame The Lull.

It's not that I'm not doing anything while being unemployed. It's just that there's more food at hand while I'm doing it.

Plus my dog dawdles. I know how lame that sounds, but I used to walk her 4 miles a day; now we're lucky to go a couple of square blocks. The phrase putting on the dog has shed a new meaning on me: My new girth is a manifestation of my dog's age creep. But I don't hold it against her.

I suppose there are other "no-collar" folks out there who already had a healthful nutrition and exercise regimen in place and aren't fazed by The Lull. I'm just not part of that crowd.

Hrrmph. More new habits to develop, more change to embrace. Can't wait until I'm the New Me . . .

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...