Thursday, July 12, 2012

Reading Addict Enabled by Local Library

I don’t have to traipse through my library to the nonfiction section in order to find animal books. I can find enough just inside the entrance in the New Arrivals section.

Strategically placed, the New Arrivals section is next to the Returns drop and the Checkout desk. One has to pass through it whether entering or exiting the library. Which is to say there’s no way of avoiding it. And while stronger or more disciplined people than moi may be able to ignore the titles as they pass by, I cannot.

This is how I get sidetracked with books, for the New Arrivals have a shortened loan period. And what with all the notes I take when I read, it becomes an intensive experience.

Recently, a librarian ratcheted up that experience by introducing me to the Summer Reading program. I receive a prize for every 15 hours of reading I do. I’m to keep track of the time in my trusty Activity Log and when I turn it in for my prize, my Log will be entered into a raffle for a free Kindle. Woo-hoo!

The program began on June 1 and ends on July 31. With my late start, I’ve felt a certain urgency in catching up. And, of course, the particular books I borrowed are not breezy reads. So I don’t know if I’ll be able to reach the limit of 5 entries per person by the end of this month, but I’m trying.

I’m guessing the odds of my winning are a little better than my husband’s odds at winning the state lottery (which he more aptly calls “the losery”). But if you keep your fingers crossed and send positive thoughts my way, perhaps my addiction will pay off for once.

[Sorry. I don’t know whose photo this is. Do you?]


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...