Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Stuck in an UN-Mindful State

For the past week I have fretted more than usual about my future, the future of those in war- and weather-torn countries, and all the other question marks that can overwhelm our lives from time to time. Living “mindfully” had become an alien ideology instead of a daily practice.

Then, last night, I read the first poem in Mary Oliver’s Thirst, and these lines scooted and squeezed me back into a better perspective of my place in the world:

Are my boots old? Is my coat torn?
Am I no longer young, and still not half-perfect? Let me

keep my mind on what matters,

which is my work,


which is mostly standing still and learning to be

astonished.


“Stand still. Be astonished.” Not a bad mantra, is it?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...