Sunday, December 6, 2009

Fight the EPA Today

I wish I'd been able to tell you this sooner: Prairie dogs need your help. NOW.

I know, I know. For many of you, these little guys look like the vermin you try to keep away from your living space. But hear me out.

The EPA is about to grant 10 states the right to poison these little critters. It's by no means a humane death, and it will no doubt harm other populations.

Now 10 states don't sound like many in a country of 50, but the truth is there are only about 12 states in which the 4 species of prairie dogs in the U.S. live. One species lives only in Utah; another lives only in Wyoming and Montana. The species the EPA is targeting resides in the Plains states, but there is crossover with other species. And here's a funny kicker: The EPA itself is trying to rescue the black-footed ferret from extinction, which feeds on the black-tailed prairie dogs the EPA is now about to poison.

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure destroying one element of a food chain will affect another.

Do prairie dogs a favor and sign this petition today. The deadline is tomorrow.

I have to run now, but later I'll address the intricate language system prairie dogs use in their tight-knit communities. I don't think you'll be able to dismiss them as vermin in the future.

"If you come close to the truth,
there are consequences."

—Dorothea Lange

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...