Thursday, September 27, 2012

Learning A New Language

As commerce and communities continue struggling toward a global mashup, it seems critical that we comprehend more than one language. Considering the latest U.S. demographics, Spanish would be the sensible choice for Americans who now speak only English. For job-seekers, Chinese or Arabic could improve your employment chances. I, on the other hand, have been busy lately learning a somewhat obscure language: horse.

“Do you even HAVE a horse?” you may be thinking. “Are you planning on GETTING one?”

No. And No. But logic and practicality don’t always rule my decisions.

In fairness, though, I have a few good reasons: 1) Learning anything new keeps one’s brain functioning properly, 2) I AM residing in the horse capital of the world, plus 3) I’m taking riding lessons, so it behooves me to communicate well with the powerful creatures who could easily (albeit unintentionally) maim me.

Anyway, I’m going to give it my best shot. Mr. Ed made it so easy for Wilbur Post. (If Rosetta Stone would only add animal languages to its roster, I’d be a loyal customer!) I’ll let you know how it goes…

[Photo of Rousing Sermon by John Sommers II for Reuters.]

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...