Sunday, March 28, 2010

Overheard at the Unemployment Office

I visited my local unemployment office again on Thursday determined to get specific answers about why my payments stopped in January. Amid the cacophony serenading my wait (I was no. 115 and no. 79 was called just as I sat down) were these gems:

from a one-sided phone exchange “Yes, I’d like to discuss the project. … The thing is, I’m in recovery and I have a curfew. Could we meet in the afternoon instead?”

from a mother to her crying toddler “Will you just shut up?”

from one of the security guards as he looked out a window, presumably watching a car being towed away
“If you parked at the Burger King, the post office, or the mall, you WILL be towed.”

from various conversations

“As soon as I got laid off, I sold everything I owned that I didn’t absolutely need.”


“Yeah, I’ve been unemployed for 15 months.”


“I worked there for 15 years. They laid off me and one other person. Everybody else got their pay cut.”

And the kicker?
“I like being unemployed!”

Geez. I guess there’s one in every bunch.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...