Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Reading Recommendation for the Unemployed Book Lover

When I first got the boot from my job of 12 years, diving into books was exactly the escape I wanted. But it was hard to concentrate. Still is, actually. Which is why the reading list to the right contains so many books that are 1) short in length, and 2) not too taxing on the noodle.

Picasso & Lump is one of the first books I picked up when my Lull started and I nearly forgot to add it to the reading list. It's perfect for distracted readers: photographs on every page, bits of explanation here and there.

And if you're like me (and let's hope you're not cursed by being JUST like me), this book provides a perfect blend of many of your special interests: art, dogs, history, and fashion.

You get a glimpse of the private life of Picasso and his muses; his studio and his works-in-progress; his villa and the people who gathered there.

My other recommendation for reduced-focus reading: Browse through those coffee-table books you haven't picked up for ages. You'll see things you'd forgotten, and you'll see some things differently than before. You'll get lost in some luscious photographs that take your mind away, however briefly, from your circumstances.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...